20 September, 2020

I'm sure I won't be leaving Facebook immediately.  If nothing else it'll take a little time to readjust how I write and post on this blog.

One of the things I liked about Facebook was that I could make posts of any size.  Back when I was using this blog regularly, I felt an obligation to make a post of a decent length.  With Facebook, I could do long posts or just make a comment or two or just post a web link, whatever hit me at the time.  I quite liked that and obviously haven't had any objection to doing it for the last ten years.

But this new system is ugly and it's like they specifically chose methods that ruin the point.  I copy-and-paste my work to a word document so it can become the basis for a book.  I had always waited two days for the date to appear on each post.  It also let me copy any response people made to the posts, you know, keeping a record of things.  But a couple months ago, the system stopped adding days for the previous week.  It might be "2d" or "4d" or "7d" and they didn't even do that correctly.  Right now posts from Friday, September 18 can be "1d" or "2d."  That's not how counting days works and is far inferior to the system from a few months ago which would all say "September 18."

When they finally forced the new system on me against my will several ds ago, I discovered that I had to copy and paste each post separately.  It looked like several posts had been covered and running the mouse over weblinks said they were still there but 'paste' would only include the top post and not include any further comments or pictures.  Then there's the way I had to rework things in order to adjust the layout to my usual position and it was very obvious that I'd have to do a lot more work just to achieve the same goal.  That's not a good system, but Facebook is the publisher.

Oh wait, they aren't.  I doubt many people used Facebook as the first draft of books the way I did, but I bet there are some.  Their political views don't help and it's safe to assume they don't consider themselves part of the peons who have to obey.  I don't know if I'll totally leave but there isn't a lot to stay for.  I don't play games or pay attention to many groups.  I write, that's about all.

At the moment, my main worry about posting here has been the short comments I make whenever I think of one.  I like putting humorous lines between the essays of my books.  I haven't been in that mood for a few months now but God willing, it will come back.  Much of my first few books came from this blog but I did like the productivity on Facebook.  If they just let us use the system as it's been for the last ten years, I wouldn't leave.  But they insist and they're the publisher.

Dammit, why do I keep thinking of them that way?  Oh right, because they insist on it.

No comments: