25 May, 2021

Where do I go, where do I go now, where do I go? To the bathroom and then get some cookies before bed. Where do you go?

All that I had to add was just a little more thoughts on Axl and his unlikely statement that he harassed Slash 3-4 hours almost every day for several months.  That's 3-4 hours every day that he doesn't spend making music AND he's preventing Slash from making any music.  You don't convince people to side with you that way unless you're a dictator and Axl...

Ok, but it's still not going to bring Slash on his side.  If anything, it would just piss him off.  I do think Axl's telling the truth about harassments.  It's not like Slash called Axl 3-4 hours every day for several months to refuse to work on "November Rain," "Estranged" or "Sweet Child O'Mine" and it's not like he liked those songs.  It's also not like he hadn't proven that he's willing to go along with the band, that he's capable of working with other people and that if Axl doesn't like his songs, he'll take them away and do them somewhere else.

I know I've written this before in the last several days, I'm just trying to work out the best way to say it.

One thing that sticks out is Axl's demanding credit for "melody," which he also specifies as Slash cruelly not permitting him to make any changes to from the demos.  Near as I can tell (thanks to lawyerdrummer.com) "melody" is essentially music chords merged with vocals.  Particularly in rock music, a singer's going to get most of the credit for that and generally earn it.

Axl demanded control.  Apparently he started firing people once the band started making money and by this point they were megastars.  He expected Slash to obey just like everybody else.

No comments: