12 November, 2020

The world is nearing a time of great distress. And yet we have no cookies. Someone Must Pay!!!

I think we're all just taking up the days, waiting for something to happen.  The left is of course convinced that they've won.  Trump has finally started making a few oblique remarks about an upcoming surprise.  I don't mind that they're oblique, I'm just annoyed that he didn't do this a week or two ago.

□ [“Georgia Headed to Manual Recount"]

It's a start but that's all it is.

Iran-backed Terrorist Groups in Iraq Cheer Prospect of Biden Presidency
November 11, 2020

We're finally getting records of more Republican victories.  Five counties in Texas that are mostly full of hispanics, including one that's 94% hispanic and hasn't voted Republican since 1920.  They won the governorship of Montana and maintained another 8 governorships.  They picked up Senate seats in Arizona and added 9 House seats, plus added state houses.  Yet there's magically enough living voters who sent in votes for nobody but Biden?

□ [“Sen. Kamala Harris’ Husband Quitting Job for Position in Possible Biden Administration"]

I'm starting to come to a theory that most political marriages are run by whoever's not in office.  This could only be pursued by someone who's closer to marriage than I am but it's still an interesting thought.

□ [“'Cancel Traditional Thanksgiving Plans' – Mayor Lori Lightfoot Tells Chicagoans Not to Gather with Family Members, Issues Stay-at-Home Advisory"]

I've been wondering how they're going to treat Thanksgiving.  I don't think a lot of people will go along with that but I also doubt that there'll be much punishment for those who disobey.  Nor will there be media coverage.  Obviously they want to destroy American holidays but that may be a long-term goal while securing their power would be more immediate.  Controlling the media would be a more important component of that security than one random Thanksgiving.  This would be more about proving that they can give the commands and no one can stop them, forcing obedience will be next.

In other news, DC comics has been undergoing large changes over the last few months.

□ [“The Red Honeymoon at DC Comics"]

Partially I'm sure it's because the comics industry is in such horrible shape but I also assume that it's part of a larger plan for AOL/Time-Warner to restructure itself for the upcoming decades.  They've obviously been completely failing to make their characters into something people want to pay attention to and can't do it with comics, so...

What I found most interesting about the list of people getting fired is that I've never heard of any of them, even if they've been at DC for a couple decades.  I'm amazed to how little attention I've paid to the business aspect in so long.  Obviously I was never part of it myself but still...  The only name that even rung a bell for me was Stuart Schreck, sales manager for 21 years, because his last name was that of a previous editor, Bob Schreck.  He edited at Dark Horse, or at least was "special projects director" for Frank Miller and John Byrne, then spent two years founding a company, Omni (which got some more Miller comics) and left in 1999 to work at DC.  That's 21 years ago, are they the same person?  Related?

From what I could find, they aren't the same person.  Wikipedia says Bob left DC in 2009 and he's been deputy director of the Comic Book Legal Defense Fund since.  It also says he has a husband, suggesting what a marriage to Diana Schutz does to a person.  But that doesn't say Bob and Stuart aren't related, I just can't find any details one way or the other.  Wikipedia also says he had been getting offers from DC for a decade before he took them up on it which does make more sense.  Did he have a brother/cousin/nephew on the inside to help him take the offer?  Was giving this guy a job one of the requirements for accepting?  Both of them are from New York although I can't find specifics on state or city.  Bob is from Levittown on Long Island, a big Manhattan suburb.  His husband is "Randy" so that's not Stuart.  Assuming we can trust Wikipedia.

Anyway, that's a hint (that can't be proved) of the sort of interactions people can have which is far beyond leftists.  And I get to think a bit about comics.  Given what else is going on my life these days, it's nice to have something I can still enjoy.

And one other pleasurable note, this morning I was able to order a proof copy of my next book, the fourth one in 2020.  I won't get it edited by the end of the year, but I really wanted a physical copy of the work just to show I could do it.

No comments: